Monday, September 9, 2013

Mercito Gesta: “I will come back strong.”

Top Rank Boxing CEO Bob Arum once labeled him as “the next Manny Pacquiao.” Because like the great superstar, Mercito “No Mercy” Gesta comes from the talent laden Philippine archipelago which produced numerous world champion boxers. Like Pacquiao, he is quick and nimble and is in possession of a powerful left hand.

But last month, Arum gave Gesta the pink slip, releasing him alongside numerous other fighters, in a move that surprised Team Gesta and his fans. 

The San Diego based fighter by the way of Cebu, failed in his bid to capture the lightweight title when he faced IBF champion, Miguel Vazquez last December in the undercard of Pacquiao himself. An attempt to come back this year in a headlining bout on ESPN ended early when he suffered a rib injury in sparring, sidelining him for the rest of the year. 

Gesta treated his dismissal from Top Rank as part of the business of boxing and promised that this will not hamper his motivation to continue his boxing career. 

“Ganun talaga ang boxing. Pero walang problema yan. Babalik pa rin ako. Sa ngayon, focused muna ako sa healing ng injury ko. Pagkatapos nito, I will come back strong,” Gesta said in an interview with this Philboxing.com correspondent. 

(That is how boxing is. But that is not a problem. I will return. Right now, I am focused on the healing of my injury and after this I will come back strong.) 

He stated that he is recovering well from the injury that he suffered last June and he is on track to make his comeback early next year. 

“Maybe 4 more months then I’m completely healed. Right now, I am just enjoying this time with my family and friends.” 

Gesta has been staying active by conducting Martial Arts and fitness classes alongside father, Anecito to friends and family in San Diego. The Gestas are active Muay Thai practitioners before getting involved in boxing. 

The 25 year old boxer assured his fans that he will continue working hard in pursuing his title dreams outside of Top Rank and thanked those who are continually supporting him. 

“I’m always thankful to all my fans - the real fans and friends. They're always there for me inside and outside the ring.” 

1 comment:

  1. nice post! keep it up!

    http://longingsofthehumanheart.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete